Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Homegoods Message Center Redo

I love LOVE looking at all the fun pictures of things people have redone out in blogland. Seriously, people are amazing what they come up with! I have been feeling so inspired by everyone but not sure where to start, then I saw this message board at Homegoods! It was on clearance for $10.00...but it was in a sad sad state:




The top part was broken off and the lovely "tea party" print was peeling off.. So I sanded it, primed it, spray painted the outside brown and the inside with chalkboard paint, and added two little decorative swirly things from Hobby Lobby (I should have taken pictures of the whole process)..and here's the end result:





I distressed it with sandpaper after I painted it...I am happy with how it turned out! Bonus: the chalkboard is also magnetic so I made fleur-di-lis magnets (From HL) to go on there too.
Here's a close up of the distressing...love it!



I'm linking up to my first linky party at Kimba's A Soft Place to Land!

And Today's Creative Blog.

Also:








11 comments:

Reunion Committee said...

WOW that really looks awesome! I just love the clearance section at HG!!
~Tana

Nicole said...

Great find! Love what you did with it!

Emily said...

That looks awesome! I'm so impressed. I linked my bathroom redo to kimba's site, too, but I think I forgot to put that on my post. I love DIY days!! It's one of my favorite blogs.

Jess Richey said...

It turned out great!!! Way to go!

Kirsty said...

That looks so great! I love the transformation!

Kristyn said...

UMMM I love that!!!!!!!!!! You should seriously make me one :)

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

Great makeover! Looks very similar to my menu board I shared a while back. Thanks for sharing at the Power of Paint Party!

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden said...

That is so clever. I would have walked right by the original message center. Great vision!

Thanks for linking up to Make it Yours day!

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden said...

Hi Jen,
Me again! I can't find your email address, but I wanted to let you know I'm featuring your project this week at My Backyard Eden. If you shoot me your email, I'll send your featured button.

grdngrrl@gmail.com

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden said...

Hi, it's me again!

Just wanted to let you know that I'm featuring this project this week on My Backyard Eden. I can't find your email, but if you shoot me an email, I'll send you a featured button.

grdngrrl@gmail.com

Amy @ Design-Aholic said...

How Funny! I bought the same memo board at HomeGoods also for $10! I painted mine green, and didn't add embellishments yet. Love yours, what a great idea!

Here's mine:
http://design-aholic.blogspot.com/2010/01/leafy-green-my-first-chalkboard.html

:)

-Amy