Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Easy "Custom" Window Treatments

I love the look of custom window treatments but don't have any room in the budget for them. When I saw the Little Green Notebook's tutorial for a window pelmet (or a cornice), I was ecstatic. This is just what I wanted! It was such a simple project and I love how the turned out! It ended up costing me about $22 to do both, which I didn't think was bad at all!! (I did get the fabric on sale at Jo-Anns so that helped too).

You will need: fabric (I didn't know how much to get so I got 1 1/2 yards and had some left over), batting, and some foam core board (I used 3 sheets). I also
used staples and duct tape. (Really! I just followed the tutorial.)


I taped together 2 pieces of foam core board since one was not wide enough to cover the width of my window. I needed a piece 39 inches long.




I drew a design on the bottom that I wanted to cut out. I thought about leaving them in a rectangle shape but decided I wanted more flair. So I traced a lid off my corningware to get the perfect oval shape. (The round one was too small).



Then I used a box cutter to cut out the "design".



I duct-taped the sides to the front piece.




Then I stapled the batting and fabric to the back of the "frame", making sure to pull tight each time.




And here's how they turned out!






I'm linking up to the following parties:








10 comments:

Room to Inspire said...

Wow, I can't believe you made these with foam core! Wow, they look great. I am going to have to borrow this idea for sure. Thanks for linking up to Be Inspired today.

Chelsea

Kristyn said...

I am so jealous of you!!! I never think of stuff like that. I don't even feel like I have time to go to Joanns to get stuff like that. How long did it take you to make that??? Seriously!!!! I wish I was as creative as you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Denise Marie said...

Wayyyy cute! I tried the same thing years ago and hubby took over and used really thick wood and made it all sturdy and strong. Whatever, Dude...give me the foam core and glue gun! lol

Rachel Cobb said...

Those look great! How did you attach them to the wall?

Jess Richey said...

You are a very talented lady!!! They look great!

ashley said...

Wow, you are quite the crafty woman! I'm agree with Kristyn, I wish I was creative like that! The window treatments turned out super cute! And I love the message board too! I love the country french look, thats my kind of style!

The Bearded Lady (Laura) said...

YOU GO GIRL!!! They turned out beautifully!! I LOVE your choice of fabric!!!

You have so inspired me! Here is hoping I can get in gear to do this!!

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden said...

They turned out great! I can't believe you started with foam core and duct tape!

Great job!

Thanks for linking up to Make it Yours day!

Emily {Frilly Details} said...

Wow!! Those look amazing!! And I love that fabric too. Great job!

denswaker said...

This one is magnificently looking one of the most extreme source to see the mind blowing window treatment. As the regarding pictures and information are exclusive looking just most promising about it. I am really impressed. Thanks for sharing.

curtains window